Why Individualized Fitness Training Is Important
The whole concept of personal training is to create the ideal training regimen for each client. However, it is equally important to view all your clients as individuals even if the bulk of your training takes place in a group, team or class setting.
There are a lot of variables that affect an individual person’s response to various types of athletic training. Some of them are fairly obvious but there are others you may not have considered. They include:
- Physical makeup – This encompasses everything from physique and body composition to heat tolerance, endurance, flexibility and body mass.
- Nutritional support – Some clients may be eating the optimal diet to support their training, but others may have nutritional deficiencies due to restricted diets or just plain poor dietary habits.
- Recovery times – Many different factors affect recovery time, including age, endurance and general physical strength.
- Fitness goals – Of course, different types of activities require different training. Some may be striving to build strength, others speed and still others endurance. All require different physical and mental training approaches.
- Individual preferences – Each person has physical activities they like and dislike, as well as strengths and weaknesses to be addressed. It’s important to find the balance between them when recommending a training routine.
- Environment – The way a person’s body responds to their environment can have a significant effect on their training. Take into account various tolerances to heat and cold, as well as air quality.
- General lifestyle – The way a person lives their everyday life affects their training. Think of the difference it can make how much stress someone experiences, whether their job is active or sedentary, or how much sleep they get each night.
Even if you’re training a group, be alert to alternatives you can offer to address the differences between your clients. That way, everyone can train safely and effectively based on their own needs.
Thank you so much for your prompt response. Might I add, Veronica was a delight to work with and her professionalism and attention to detail made this an overall pleasurable experience.